B-1 and B-2 VISAS

The largest group of nonimmigrants entering the United States each year is in the category of visitors for business (B-1) or visitors for pleasure (B-2). U.S. immigration law provides for the admission of an individual under one or both of these categories who plans to visit the U.S temporarily for business or pleasure, as long as the applicant has a residence in a foreign country which he has no intention of abandoning, and is not coming for the purpose of study or work. These visas are often issued together in order to provide the greatest amount of flexibility to the visitor.

We assist temporary visitors in these categories to properly prepare for their interviews at the U.S. consulate of their home country, including the questions and documentary requirements related to expenses for travel and lodging, specific plans for the term of the visit, and the existence of sufficient family, employment, social and property ties which will ensure the applicant’s return to his or her home country upon termination of the visit. We also represent visitors who seek extensions of stay in the U.S., as well as those who may desire to change from a temporary “B” visa to another visa, as needs change over time.

B-1 and B-2 visas are outlined below.

B1/B-2 Visa Privileges:

• You can enter and re-enter the U.S. freely during the term of the visa.
• B-1 and B-2 visas can be issued quickly in most countries.
• B-1 and B-2 visas are often issued for extended terms, allowing you to make many trips to the U.S. without any additional applications.

B-1/B-2 Visa Prerequisites and Restrictions:

• You must prove that you have sufficient family, employment, social and property ties to your home country, and thus will return to home country in order to qualify for a B-1 or B-2 visa.
• You may not work, live permanently, or study in the U.S. with a B-1 or B-2 visa, except for a short course of study that is incidental to the purpose of your trip.
• The length of each visit to the U.S. is normally limited to six months, after which you must apply for an extension to remain in the U.S., with a maximum stay of one year for any single visit.

CONTACT US: jgagel@jgagel.com