The P visa category covers athletes and entertainers who do not qualify under the “extraordinary ability” standards of the O visa. The only other category under which athletes or entertainers may be admitted to the U.S. is the H-2B visa, which requires the lengthier process of obtaining a labor certification.

We assist companies, workers, and their dependent family members in obtaining their P-1, P-2, P-3 and P-4 visas. We prepare the extensive paperwork and guide them through the distinct and complex rules that are applicable to each of the disciplines within this visa category. We coordinate matters between employer and employee, and represent the parties before the INS in the U.S. and the consulate of the employee’s home country. We guide the parties through decisions regarding the distinct eligibility requirements for P-1, P-2 and P-3 visas, as well as available waivers from those requirements. We obtain and assemble all documentary evidence, including no objection letters and advisory reports from peer groups, labor unions, and management organizations, as required, affidavits, employment contracts, company letters, specific proof applicable to each P visa, and assist with the change from a P visa to another visa, as appropriate.

The P Visa Category Is Outlined Below.

P-1 visas are available to internationally recognized athletes, athletic teams, and entertainment groups. P-2 visas are available to artists or entertainers, either individually or as a group, who perform under a reciprocal exchange program between the U.S. and another country. P-3 visas are available to artists or entertainers who come to the U.S. either individually or as a group to develop, perform, teach or coach in a culturally unique event. P-4 visas are available to accompanying relatives of P-1, P-2 and P-3 visa holders.

P Visa Privileges:

• Visas can be issued quickly.
• You may travel freely in and out of the U.S. for the term of the visa.
• Visas are available to essential support personnel of all P visa holders.
• Visas may be issued to accompanying relatives, but they may not work or study.
• You do not have to prove that you intend to return to your home country residence when your business in the U.S. is completed.
• You may apply for permanent residence while in P status.

P-1, P-2 and P-3 Visa Prerequisites and Restrictions:

• You must be coming to the U.S. to participate in a particular event, tour or season.
• Individual entertainers are not eligible for P-1 visas.
• P-1 visa holders must have international reputations. (Inapplicable to circus groups; waivers are available for certain entertainment groups with national reputations.)
• P-1 entertainment groups must be “outstanding” for a “sustained and substantial period of time”.
• Seventy five percent of P-1 entertainment group members must be part of the group for at least one year. ( Inapplicable to all P-1 support personnel and circus performers; waivers available, e.g., in case of illness or unanticipated circumstances, or a new critical member of the group.)
• Specific and detailed evidentiary requirements must be met regarding international or national reputation (P-1); reciprocal exchange programs (P-2), and culturally unique groups (P-3).
• Letters of no objection or advisory opinions must normally be obtained from U.S. peer groups, labor organizations, or management organizations to obtain principal and support P visas.
• You are restricted to working for the employer who acted as your sponsor.

CONTACT US: jgagel@jgagel.com